At some point in time in your life, you might face an unexpected injury due to either a car accident, slipping unintentionally etc. If you think the injury caused had a severe effect on your everyday routine, it’s time to consult and hire a personal injury lawyer to claim all damages done.
Finding The Right Personal Injury Lawyer
After facing an injury, the first step is to search for a suitable and well reputed personal injury lawyer. You can start off by inquiring about an injury lawyer through your acquaintances, friends or family members. Before you decide on hiring one, it’s always a good practice to first do a background check of the attorney at hand, because you really don’t want to end up hiring an attorney with a questionable history. Having said that, never hire a lawyer who approaches you himself as it is considered an illegal practice in the world of law.
Make Yourself A Priority
First & foremost, it’s crucial that after facing an injury, you seek medical attention right away and follow your doctor’s instructions. It can’t be stressed enough how critical it is to file your medical bills with your health insurance company. Your lawyer must be kept in the loop regarding your various treatments, medical bill expenses and progress healthwise. Keep in mind, the more honest and open you are with your lawyer, the better it would be for you.
Inquiring For Your Documents Required For The Case
If you’re aiming to get the best outcome for your case, your lawyer will need thorough and detailed documents. A list of documents required by your attorney will consist of the following:
- Your medical history including any prior medical conditions along with all relevant medical reports and tests
- If you were a victim of a car accident and police was involved as well, a report of the accident must be submitted
- Photographs are a must for evidence to document all injuries caused by the accident
- If you’re planning to file a case, it’s a must to keep a proper record of the location, date, time of when the accident took place. Other factors such as how the road conditions were on that particular day including a description of the weather as well
- It’s crucial to also mention about your car insurance policy and the other party involved in the accident as well
- A detailed report of damages caused in terms of loss of working days, salary due to the accident
Time Is Everything
It’s all about timing when filing for a personal injury claim, the more you delay it the less the chances of you actually getting compensation for your damages. Therefore, it’s wise to file for a lawsuit right away.
One of the most important factors to take into consideration with your personal injury lawyer is the proper understanding of how contingency fees work. Normally, contingency fees vary between 33-40 % from the personal injury damages award, also keeping in mind if the case ends up for trial or otherwise. All medical liens must be paid in full prior to being entitled to your settlement money, if not you’ll be liable to pay for these bills from the award through the settlement. Expenses before the trial including if needed court reporters, detailed registration of legal pleads and an expert witness if required are funded by the lawyer but must be reimbursed with the amount awarded through settlement. For instance, if the monetary award for the settlement isn’t granted, the attorney will forego any costs involved for his/her legal services. Don’t forget to consult your lawyer when asked to sign any type of agreement.
Important Questions To Ask Before Hiring Your Lawyer
- area of expertise
- prior experience of handling a personal injury case, if yes what was the final result
- number of personal injury cases handled in the past and currently handling how many
- the time required for your case to reach an end result
- mode of communication and availability to answer any required questions in mind in a prompt manner with quick response time or not
- If the insurance company doesn’t provide a viable solution or outcome, can a lawsuit be filed if required
- Cost of fees, a detailed overview of the services agreement. Always go through the services agreement thoroughly before signing the deed
- References for a few past clients with names and contact numbers
- Finally, hire a personal injury lawyer that you trust will give their best shot at winning the case in your favor